Extended version coming soon! 1919-1921 The Shelby Advertising Club sponsored an auto show for several years. From 1919 – 1921, the show was staged in the vacant factory space. More than 10,000 people attended the multi-day events, which included up to 60 automobiles, tractors, home exhibits as well as local exhibitors such as the Autocall… Continue reading Shelby Auto Shows
Extended story coming soon! at Mack Ave. 1920-22 In 1920, Shelby Wax Paper opened shop in the portion of the tractor building Shelby Metal Products vacated. William Muchmore, superintendent of the Shelby Salesbook Co., designed and built a wax paper press, and with a couple of investors, opened the factory. The wax coated paper was… Continue reading Shelby Wax Paper
Extended story coming soon! 1920 Shelby Metal products moved into a portion of the factory in 1920, taking over raw and finished material and patents of the hinge and hardware business Shelby Tractor bought from Standard Manufacturing Company. The business quickly grew and built a new factory on North Broadway Street.
Extended story coming soon! 1918-1922 The Shelby Tractor & Truck Company bought the factory in 1918 and began manufacturing vehicles. Using the adjacent rail system, Shelby tractors were shipped throughout the United States and to Sweden, Denmark and Constantinople. In 1920, the town of Shelby replaced its team of horses with a Shelby tractor. Financially,… Continue reading Shelby Tractor and Truck Co.
Extended story coming soon! In 1912, the General Electric Company bought National Lamp and the Shelby factory; the sales department was renamed Shelby Lamp Works. In 1915, the manufacturing end moved to Cleveland, while the sales department remained in Shelby, leaving the factory vacant.