A new division was formed in 1908 called the Richland Mazda Lamp division, which began to produce tungsten lamps. The carbon works division was closed in 1911 to make room for the tungsten division; by 1912 it was the largest tungsten factory in the company, turning out 12,000 lamps a day.
In 1896, stockholders of the newly formed Shelby Electric Company purchased three acres of the Mack farm to build a factory to produce incandescent lamps. A road was built from Broadway to Gamble Street to accommodate travel by factory workers. Businessman John Chamberlain Fish persuaded electrical engineer Prof. Adolfe Alexander Chaillet, of Paris, France, to… Continue reading Shelby Electric Co.